Students are responsible for their conduct to the Principal and the Discipline Committee of the College and are prohibited from doing anything either inside or outside the College, amounting to the breach of discipline or interference in the normal working of the College. A student shall be liable to disciplinary action for violation of the rules of discipline. The University has revised the ordinance XVB-"MAINTENANCE OF DISCIPLINE AMONG STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY" and XV-C "PROHIBITION OF AND PUBISHMENT FOR RAGGING". The students are advised to read carefully the revised Ordinance XV-B and XV-C.
At the time of admission every student shall sign a declaration pertaining to this Ordinance. The Ordinance XV-B and XV-C are as under.
"Maintenance of Discipline Among Students of the University."
- All powers relating to discipline and disciplinary action are vested in the Vice-Chancellor.
- The Vice-Chancellor may delegate all or such other powers as he/ she may specify in this behalf.
- Without prejudice to the generality of powers to enforce discipline under the Ordinance,)he following shall amount to acts of gross indiscipline;
- (a) Physical assault, or threat to use physical force, against any member on the teaching and non-teaching staff of any Institution/ Department and against any student within the University of Delhi;
- (b) Carrying of, use of or threat to use any weapons;
- (c) Any violation of the provisions of the Civil Rights Protection Act, 1976.
- (d) Violation of the status, dignity and honour of student, belonging to
the scheduled castes and tribes;
- (e) Any practice, whether verbal or otherwise, derogatory to women;
- (f) Any attempt of bungling or corruption in any manner;
- (g) Willful Destruction of institutional property;
- (h) Creating ill-will or intolerance on religious or communal ground;
- Causing disruption in any manner of the academic functioning of the University system.
- Ragging as per Ordinace XV-C.
- Without prejudice to the generality of his/her relating to the maintenance of discipline and taking such action in the interest of maintaining discipline as may seem to him/her powers aforesaid, order or direct that:
- any student or students be expelled; or
- any student or students be, for a stated period, rusticated or
- be not for a stated period, admitted to course or courses of study in a college, department of institution of the University; or
- be fined with a sum of rupees that may be specified; or
- be debarred from taking University 0 College or Departmental examination for one or more years; or
- that the result of the student or students concerned in the Examinations in which he/she or they has/have appeared be cancelled.
- The Principal of the colleges, Head of Halls, Deans of the Faculties, Heads of Teaching Department in the University, the Director Open Learning and Librarian shall have the authority to exercise all such disciplinary power over students in their respective colleges, institutions, faculties and Teaching Departments, in the University as may be necessary for the proper conduct of the Institutions, Halls and teaching in the concerned Departments. They may exercise their authority through or delegate to, such of the teachers in their Colleges, Institution or Departments as they ma specify for these purposes.
- Without prejudice to the powers of the Vice-Chancellor and the Proctor as aforesaid, detailed rules of discipline and proper conduct shall be framed. These rules may be supplemented where necessary, by the Principal of the colleges, heads of Halls, deans of faculties and head of the Teaching Departments in the University. Each student shall be expected to provide himself/herself with a copy of these rules.
- At the time of admission every .student shall be required to sign a declaration that on admission he/she submits himself/herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Vice-Chanceller and the several the several authorities of the University who may be vested with the authority to exercise discipline under the Acts, Statutes, Ordinances and the rules that have been framed thereunder by the University.
Prohibition or the Punishment for Ragging
- Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited within he premises of College/Department or Institution and any part of Delhi University system as well as on public transport.
- Any individual or collective act or practice of ragging constuting gross indiscipline shall be dealt with under this Ordinance.
- Ragging for the purposes of this ordinance, ordinarily means any act, Conduct or practice by which dominant power or status of senior students is brought to bear on students freshly enrolled or students who are in any way considered junior or inferior by other students and includes individual or collective acts or practices which:
- involve physical assault, or threat, use of physical force;
- violate the status, dignity and honour of women students;